Friday, May 3, 2019

Making the Next Move: Part 1

This is part one of the two-part finale for this blog, and it comes with a partial wrap-up as well as a reveal.

First, to the wrap-up. It’s been an incredible two years recounting my adventures in southern Germany and its surroundings. 

Way back in my six-months-in-Munich post I gave numbers on my trips outside of Munich. Since then, I’ve visited another 12 German cities (plus 2 repeats) and 4 new countries (plus 5 repeats, although in all cases except Vienna it was to new destinations within the country). 

Most of these trips I highlighted in previous blog posts; a few I've included in the photos you'll see later on. But before I get into too much reminiscing, the reveal:






So in the spirit of continued alliteration, maybe my next blog should be From Munich to Maui or Mahalo, Maui! Or…maybe I’ll get there and see what awaits. J

Knowing we had planned to eventually move someplace warmer doesn’t making the leaving any easier, particularly since the thought had been to extend our European living experience to Spain or Portugal.

I know what you're thinking. Whining about moving to Hawaii? Really??

No, not really. It's just there are so many little things that have slowly become part of my everyday that I’ll miss. 


  • The sight of men in Lederhosen and women in Dirndl or men in business suits and women in stilettos cruising along on their bikes.
  • The sound of metal shutters rolling open in the mornings on many apartment windows. 
  • The inconvenience of stores being closed on Sundays and holidays but the convenience of prices including taxes and fees.
  • The strange paradox of a country so focused on being green but using so much paper. 
  • The other paradox of the intense protection of privacy and the extreme lack of personal space in crowds or on public transportation.


At the Little American Oktoberfest with the MIWC.
I dubbed my look "Bavarican."

I feel like I've had so much time here but not nearly enough...
Tollwood is a famous summer
and winter arts festival.
Definitely the groovier side
of Munich on display.

















Sometimes you walk around and
happen to look up and see oddities

And sometimes you're walking
around and happen to look
up and see awesomeness
















I will definitely miss the ads here.
This one talks about finding the
right job for everyone.

Opening the truck from the back? Inefficient!
Beer delivery is about maximizing resources.
The best way to emerge from a pedestrian tunnel: in the presence of random beautiful street art

Saw one of my favorite bands--Three Days Grace--
in a hall in the artisans village area
Yup, just another Fasching Week with a guy
on the tram in a giraffe costume

Much of the usual crew from Munich Toytown Ultimate




One of my favorite sights. These sweepers
clean the streets but are small enough to
travel along the sidewalks and clean them
as well. Ingenious.

Here's me at one of my TWO trips
to Oktoberfest in 2018


No, not fake cars or a model building.
Just a huge statue of a man walking in Munich.





















Nothing beats a nice hike in the Alps




December 2018 destination
Christmas market: Tallinn, Estonia
Here is the yummy lunch I was having in Tallinn
just before I realized my wallet was missing.
Thankfully found it at the help desk for the
city wall I'd climbed earlier in the day.


Another contender for favorite German city: Meersburg. It's on the Bodensee/Lake Constance.
There's a cute old town, cool castle and view across the lake to Switzerland.
Channeling Grace Jones
meets Minnie Mouse
during our second
Copa Prescadisco
tourney
October 2018

In addition to exploring Meersburg,
we visited the botanical garden
island of Mainau, in the middle
of Bodensee

Participated in my first protest since college.
Demonstrating in Munich against US policy
separating immigrant children from their parents.
Small world indeed.























Three-and-a-half years in Germany
and I'm still baffled
by things they choose
to put on pizza...


I went to London for the first time in August 2018.
Did all the touristy things despite the blistering heat. 




But this was the reason for my visit to
London--to see the new Frida Kahlo
exhibit. Amazing!!














Everything's about following rules and keeping things
orderly--except waiting in line and parking!

The second half of my visit to Kassel--to the Museum of
Sepulchral Culture--was equally wondrous.
But a different kind of grim. ;)
The first half of my visit to Kassel
was the wonder of the Grimm museum






Cranes everywhere. For everything.
Construction. Car towing. Trash and recycling bin emptying.

Larry takes a moment to ponder on one of the
black beaches of Tenerife--
our vacation spot in January 2018
Tenerife wasn't all beaches and cruises, however. We hiked
down the Masca valley from this village to the ocean.
And hiking down was reportedly only slightly easier
than hiking up!


I'm looking forward to warm weather,
but I'll miss the easy
bundle-up-and-stay-indoors excuses

   
                                                    


I will definitely miss the "experiences" that pop up, 
like this Schäfflertanz that's only performed every seven years!


It's always the people that make the place.
I'm sad to be leaving behind a couple of good friends.



When things were tough at work for a while I started writing a quote or inspirational saying each day
on the whiteboard in our office. I'm particularly proud of this one--it just popped into my head one morning.

So what's left? Next time I'll talk about prepping for the transition from the "land of laptops and Lederhosen" to the land of luaus and leis...




2 comments:

  1. Wow, Germany looks so good on you Michelle =) Moving back is sure to have it's pros & cons. And by cons I mean the Trump Crime Family. Willkommen in Amerika.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There are definitely pros and (one big orange) con (man) to coming back. I'll miss my overseas adventures, but now I guess I have some island-hopping to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete