Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas Market Madness: Germany, part 2 (Ludwigsburg & Prien am Chiemsee)

Even cities that are a hop, skip, and a jump away show some differences in their markets, e.g., whether there’s a theme, which types of crafts or decorations appear more often, what type of sausages or version of mulled wine are served, etc.

I was excited after visiting the Munich markets to see what other areas in Germany had to offer. Sadly, most of my top choices were too far to justify the trip. Lucky for me, I came across a couple of close gems:

Ludwigsburg

Getting there: 2.5 hours each way, Deutsche Bahn. 10-minute walk from the train station.

The market: The Ludwigsburg market was advertised as a “Baroque” market. Not because of the decorations and crafts offered, but because it was situated on a plaza between two Baroque churches.

In true German fairy tale style, one church was painfully plain, while the other was an over-the-top beauty. The market décor itself was also quite lovely, with oversized angels positioned around the square, soaring skyward.

The stalls featured the wood carvings, glass ornaments, leather work, and warm clothes you see at most German markets. Ludwigsburg did offer more crafts made of straw than most places, including some adorable reindeer.
 
I followed my usual up-one-side, down-the-other-side approach so I didn’t miss any stalls, then enjoyed what has become my Christmas market treat to myself: a lunch of grilled wurst and a warm and tasty Glühwein (white instead of the usual red).

The trip: Other than my subway and walking trips around Munich, this was the most uneventful market travel experience I had. My Munich trains and Stuttgart connections were on time, and without incident.

The part of Ludwigsburg I saw was a typical town with a mix of asphalt and cobblestone. No really old buildings, but no modern eyesores, either.

On the walk back to the train station, I stopped into a couple of stores to scout some Christmas gift ideas. I came away with a better plan on that front, and a new backpack that would be great for my upcoming travels!


Fraueninensel, Prien am Chiemsee

Getting there: 1+ hour each way, Meridian. Then took an old-fashioned train and a ferry on the way. On the way back, took the ferry, then walked to the train station.

The market: The great appeal of this market was that it’s Germany’s only Christmas market on an island. The 38-acre Fraueninsel (women’s island) is one of two populated islands on the Chiemsee (Chiem lake), and home to only 300 people, including residents of the island’s convent.
 
In all my many market trips I’d had one secret goal: to find blown-glass ornaments like the ones my mom bought in Germany 40+ years ago. This was the only market where I found anything even close.

There was another specialty glass blower and the other usual market fare. Instead of my bratwurst lunch, however, I tried a pulled pork sandwich. It was easily among the top three I’ve ever had.

Winding across the island's 100+ stalls and even going inside the church attached to the convent, I worked up an appetite for dessert. That turned out to be a heavenly apple tort swimming in a warm vanilla sauce, topped with cinnamon.

A group of men from the ferry, in full Bavarian finery, turned out to be the brass band playing on a stage not too far from my dessert stop. The only thing left to do was check out the remaining stalls in the courtyard of the local guest house, and a massive nativity scene made by a wood artisan.

The trip: There were several things that made this trip special. The first is that I brought a friend with me. 

Normally I like the freedom of acting on a whim and exploring for as little or as long as something grabs my attention. But a couple we knew in Hamburg recently moved to Munich via Berlin, so it was nice to reconnect with a familiar face and have some company on this pretty straightforward adventure.

Second was the weather. It started as a miserable, drizzly day in Munich, but as soon as the train pulled out of the station, the rain turned to snow.

Lastly, this was the final stop in my two-week Christmas market blitz, and I was ready for a slower-paced, low-hassle kind of day.

The local train that ran from the train station to the ferry dock. T
he seats inside were wooden benches.
To that end, we got a Bayern ticket, which allowed us to travel anywhere in Bavaria all day on any regional train. Which was good, because there was no telling how reliable the local train and ferry connections would be, and no way to know how long we’d be out on the island.

Other than some confusion when we first got to the train station (take a local bus to the ferry dock? take the local train? where do we find them?), and some concern on the way back about waiting in the cold for the next slow-moving choo-choo, our day went rather smoothly.

(Since the regional trains only came once an hour, we decided not to risk the train-to-train connection, and walked the 1.5-km trail beside the tracks back to the train station. Definitely a better choice than standing in the snow for 30 minutes!)

Upon reflection: I wouldn’t have changed anything about either experience. The Ludwigsburg trip came after one of my international trips but before all the others, so it was a good recharge of my itch to see new places.

As I mentioned, the Fraueninsel market was the last one on my entire itinerary. It embodied a true community effort—true to the spirit of the season—and was a great way to wrap things up after so many instances of long traveling days.

Speaking of, my next several posts will focus on my trips to Austria, France, Italy, and Switzerland!



No comments:

Post a Comment